Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Moms Macaroni & Cheese

This is the stuff I grew up with.  Yeah I loved my blue box Kraft, but as I got older I realized that this was what was best.  Also for those that love your velveeta that's fine too, but I don't think I even knew what it was until I was a teenager.
Here's what you'll need:
10 ounces elbow macaroni. (I use anything that has ridges in the noodles; penne, elbow, etc.  I like to think it holds the sauce better)
1/4 cup of butter
1/4 cup of flour
3 - 4 cups of milk (this can vary depending on how think/thin you want your sauce)
* Up to 24 ounces of shredded cheese. I use a combo of medium and sharp or all sharp.
 Boil noodles until al dente, drain and set aside.
 
In a pan melt butter with the flour over med/med high and cook for about 2-3 minutes - this is your roux. Next slowly add the milk, while stirring with a whisk. If you have a immersion/hand blender you can also use that. This is the hardest part of the recipe because it can seize up if you aren't stirring enough. Just go slow, add about a 1/2 cup or less at a time and continue adding as it smooths out.
Once its reached the point where it's a bit thinner than you want for your sauce start adding the cheese, the more the better! (* I will admit that I no longer shred my own cheese. It may be better, but it's time consuming.  Now I just buy a good brand of the shredded stuff.)  We usually use 24 ounces with 16 going into the sauce and 8 going on top.  Salt and pepper to taste at this point. 
At this point remove about 3-4 cups of the sauce from the pan and mix the noodles in. Stir until completely mixed and then pour into a baking dish. 
For our house one half is covered with shredded cheese and more sauce. Then the other half is covered with torn bits of bread (usually the heels) topped with additional sauce and shredded these. That's how Mom made it and it's the best way, but I'm the only one in my house that likes it. I can still remember that it was my sisters and I job to tear the bread. :) Then I bake it at 375 for 20-30 minutes or until brown. 
Serve and ENJOY! Also I know this may sound time consuming but the sauce should take less than 15 minutes to make. The prep takes about the same and it's well worth the effort.

A few items worth mentioning:

No comments:

Post a Comment